Friday, March 30, 2012

ESO 3 FUTURE TENSES


There are different ways to approach the future in English.


Will + infinitive

We use will to:



  • Talk about spontaneous decisions (decision made at the moment of speaking).
                  Example: I'm tires. I'll go to bed.


  • Offer yourself to do something.
                  Example:  Mary: It's too hot in here, don't you think?                                                      Jane: I'll open the window.
  • Make predictions about the future based on your opinion.
                   Example:  I think it will snow a lot this winter.



Be going to + infinitive


  • We use 'be going to' to:

  •  Talk about a future intention when a decision has already been made (something you have previously thought about).
  • Example: Next year I'm going to study at university. 
 REMEMBER:  We usually omit the verb 'to go' in sentences with going to.
Example: Next year I'm going to university.(not: I'm going to go to university)

  • Make predictions about the future when there is evidence that something is going to happen.



Example: You are not studying at all. You are going to fail the test tomorrow.

Present simple

We use the Present simple to talk about schedules.
 
             Example: My flight to Barcelona leaves at 7.30 tomorrow morning.


Present continuous


We use the Present continuous to talk about future arrangements (there has been some kind of preparation or organisation).

                     Example: I have already bought a ticket. I'm leaving next Friday.

Let's do some exercises now.

Will or going to 1? by Nuria Ortiz (www.englishexercises.org)

PRACTISING THE USE OF FUTURE TENSE, by maria elena sabadini (www.englishexercises.org)

Future tense, by satine1 (www.englishexercises.org)

Future mix (www.ego4u.com)

Future mix2 (www.tolearnenglish.com)

Future mix3 (www.englishgrammarsecrets.com)

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home